08 Dezember 2010

Project Landrover the second

During my travells in the summer I made almost 10000km. In general the Landrover was doing fine, but there were still a few things I was not happy with. First the engine: two problems.
The first was an oil leak at the front crankshaft sealing. The second was just a lack of power. Ok, the Landrover is with 67 break horsepowers and almost 3 tons of weight not a very fast car, but I had the feeling the engine could do better. To fix the oil leak I had to take off the radiator and the front cover of the engine. The frontcover itself had a problem; the oilseal is sitting in a casing which is fitted with rivets to the engine cover and somehow this casing was slightly bent and therefore loosing oil. But no problem, I just put another engine cover with a new oilseal, problem sorted. The same time while the cover was off I checked the timing chain for wear.
To lack of power was a more serious problem. First I checked the timing, valve clearance, air and fuel filter. Everything seemed to be ok. The only part left was the injection pump. I had a second pump but it never worked. I asked a few people on some Landrover forums what to do. They all said an injection pump cannot be fixed and adjusted without special tools. Good, I said, let's do it. I opened the pump and took it apart. I definetly found the problem. The pistons in the high pressure chamber were blocked. With a lot of patience I managed to get them moving again. I cleaned everything out got a seal kit and put the pump back together.
I replaced the old pump, bled the fuel system and started the engine and took the car for a test drive. The engine works much better, ok it is still not a racing car but there is a noticeable different, great.
The breaks had a problem as well. To be honest, by the time I got back there was not much of a break left. The diaphragm in the low pressure pump was gone and in the right hand side front breakdrum I discovered oil. I took the low pressure pump apart cleaned it out and changed the diaphragm. The oil in the breakdrum was caused by a broken oil seal. After cleaning the break I put a new seal.
The next problem I had was the directional stability. I checked steering and wheel bearings in the front, all good. The pin in the swywel housing was rusted and had play. The one on the right hand side was still good but I changed it as well.
Than the noises, I had a terrible rattling from the gear levers and a
rustling from the rear axle. I took the floor panels off and the only thing I could do was putting grease where the gear levers enter the gear box. I don't think it will last long but there is not much to do.
The rear axle rustling was the diff itself. Luckily I bought a second hand one when I was in Belgium. The same time I fitted two new drive shafts, a weak point on the Landrover. The old ones I will put as spares in the car. Two bearings in the diff had play and the others didn't look good. The rear wheel bearings had some play as well. I fitted the diff with a new seal and adjusted the wheel bearings. The test drive was amazing. No noise what so ever from gear box or the diffs. I was a litle bit afraid the noise might come from the gear box but it was definetly the diff. And the directional stability was much better as well. A Landrover is never really going straight but now the steering and the whole car feels different: stiff and solid.
I replaced the fuel pump s well. The old one was still working but I thought to be sure I am going to fit a new one. One thing was really annoying. When I took the wheels off to put new tires I realized an oil leak on the right hand side swywel housing. The seal was brand new. I tried to open and re-tight the bolts several times but it kept leaking. I had to take the swywel housing apart again and change the seal a second time. Now it looks fine.
I chose Firestone off-road tires. The cost performance ratio was the best I could get.
So far the technical problems. The roof rack needed some work as well. I wanted to put an awning on the right hand side of the car.To do so I had to fit the sandboards on the other side. I decided as well to build a roof box. To have space for the box I had to move the spare wheel a little bit more to the front. I had to weld a few box sections more on the roof rack as a support for the spare wheel an the roof box. The roof box I built out of wood. It is just a box for goods they don't have space inside the car. Such as a spade, all sorts of liquids and some spare parts.
What I thought it important as well is a jack. A normal car jack will not do the job. In the web I found a place in the north of Spain where they sell and deliver high-lift jacks.
Last but not least I had to pass the MOT.
With all this repairs and changes the car is ready to go.
The link below leads you to the picassa photo page.

http://picasaweb.google.com/106213480355655195189/ProjectLandroverTheSecond#

3 Kommentare:

  1. Hi, just a moment back I was searching for the landroverrepairsand now I am here. So much information, really well executed blog. This is really informative and I will for sure refer my friends the same. Thanks

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. I have been looking the World Wide Web for this information about regarding Techno British.and I want to thank you for this post. It’s not easy to find such perfectly written information on this topic. Great Work After study a few of the posts regarding on this website now, and I truly like your way of blogging. I bookmarked it and will be checking back soon.

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. I like the way you start and then conclude your thoughts. Thanks for this nice information regarding regarding land rover partsreally appreciate your work, keep it up.

    AntwortenLöschen

Comments welcome